If you love food and are in Houston, then you’re in luck. Not only is Houston consistently ranked as one of the best cities to dine in the entire US, but for over a month you can dine out as part of Houston Restaurant Weeks (HRW). From August 1 to September 5, if you visit a participating restaurant and order off their HRW menu, a portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Houston Food Bank.
Hundreds of restaurants across the city have created special prix fixe menus for the occasion, featuring local favorites as well as creating unique dishes for the occasion. The meals are broken down into categories: $25 brunch, $20 lunch, and then $35 or $45 dinner. It’s a set menu for each meal with multiple courses and often suggested drink pairings. To search all the available menus, check out the list here.
Some of the restaurants on my HRW bucket list include:
- Dinner at Foreign Correspondents—northern Thai food like you’ve never seen it before
- Lunch at Bistro Menil—perfect excuse to check out the museum next door
- Brunch at the Grove—gorgeous views of Discovery Green and downtown Houston
- Dinner at Mala Sichuan—their new Montrose location serves up authentic Chinese dishes
- Dinner at Max’s Wine Dive—the Max ‘n’ Cheese is to die for!
- Lunch at Weights and Measures—in an up and coming part of Midtown with amazing bakery
- Brunch at Backstreet Café—great vegetarian options and a fantastic patio
If you’re in town during HRW, be sure to try out some of the menus. Restaurants are often a bit busier this time of year so be sure to make a reservation before heading out.